Position Title: HHA Maintenance Specialist – Maintenance Tech I
Reports To: HHA Maintenance Supervisor
Support To: HHA Maintenance Team, Property Manager and Residents
Overall Focus: To develop the Authority into a Non-Profit Full Service Residential Management and Property Development Corporation that provides affordable housing. The position is full time and requires regular attendance to perform the essential duties and responsibilities of the assigned property locations.
Primary Duties: The Maintenance Specialist performs semi-routine and diversified duties in connection with repairs of general maintenance and repair of buildings, facilities, electrical and mechanical systems, equipment and fixtures for assigned developments at the journeyman level. The primary duties of the Maintenance Specialist include:
- Troubleshoot, diagnose and repair – buildings, facilities, fixtures, equipment, and property.
- Perform preventative maintenance functions.
- Operate a variety of equipment and machines including saws, drill presses and various hand and power tools to perform repair and maintenance work and maintain tools and equipment in a safe, clean, and keep in proper working condition.
- Monitor maintenance schedules to assure completion of tasks in a timely manner.
- Repair and treat structures such as floors, bathtubs, sinks, cabinets, walls, roofs, stairways, and carpets, repair and replace windows, screens, doors, and hinges, repair and adjust locks on doors, cabinets, closets and fabricate keys.
- Inspect various ventilation units, install, maintain and service equipment such as ranges, refrigerators, heating systems, air conditioners, and water heaters, install fire extinguishers and maintain service schedule, monitor site deliveries; and move or arrange for moving of furniture and equipment.
- Complete work orders; Document tenant charges.
- Complete vacant units to make ready status according to established procedures.
- Ensure compliance with appropriate safety practices and procedures and with applicable federal, state and local codes, regulations and requirements.
- Operate light trucks to pick up and deliver equipment and supplies.
- Respond to and correct after-hours emergencies on a timely basis.
- Commit to excellent customer service and maintain confidentiality of all resident activity and information.
- Performs all other duties of the position as may be directed by the Authority Board.
Position Responsibilities: The Maintenance Specialist performs general maintenance and repairs of buildings, facilities, electrical and mechanical systems, equipment and fixtures for assigned developments at the journeyman level. The technician will assist skilled technicians in making major repairs. The position responsibilities of the Maintenance Specialist include:
- Carpentry: Perform rough and finished carpentry work in the repair of structures such as partitions, walls, doors, fences, window frames, roofs, office furniture and shelves.
- Glazier: Remove broken glass from window, secure building by boarding up window openings, and replace glass and hardware for windows, doors, and light fixtures.
- Electrical: Perform minor electrical work (where qualified) for switches, outlets, plugs, cables, power circuits and appliances; repairs and replaces lighting systems, troubleshoot and correct defective conditions, monitor and maintain the working condition of safety equipment such as a fire alarms and emergency lighting.
- Plumbing: Identify plumbing problems; repair and maintain plumbing leaks or breaks above and below ground; repair and maintain appropriate functioning systems including sewer/supply lines and drains and fire sprinkler and suppression systems; replace seals and other minor parts, maintain underground water lines; and repair, replace and maintain hot water heaters toilets and other appliances.
- Painting: Apply and prepare various surfaces for paint, lacquer, varnish or stain, remove or paint over graffiti and repair wall coverings.
- Grounds Maintenance: Maintain grounds in a clean and orderly manner including mowing, trimming, aerating and fertilizing lawns, as requested; trim tree branches that create hazardous situations, maintain fire lanes around buildings and properties; clean debris from grounds, pathways, and parking lots; and maintain mowers and other related grounds equipment.
- Masonry: Lay forms; mix pour, finish and repair concrete for sidewalks, paves, ramps, and slabs and repair asphalt as needed.
- Housekeeping/Janitorial/Custodial: Dusts and polishes furniture, woodwork and shelving and empties and cleans wastebaskets and washes windows to enhance housing quality standards; operates electric buffer, vacuum cleaners, and other similar equipment to clean by sweeping, scrubbing, waxing, buffing, shampooing and vacuuming carpets.
- Safety/Security/Sanitation: Identify, respond to, report and remove and safety hazards; report and repair property damage; report unauthorized visitors; respond to emergency cleanups such as spills and clogged drains; understand and follow guidelines for safe handling of toxic and/or caustic chemicals and other hazardous materials; and be prepared for occasional unsanitary conditions in office and residential units.
Qualifications: To perform the essential job functions, the following minimum qualifications or standards are required:
- Education and Experience:
- GED or GED supplemented by technical courses in mechanical, electrical, or building trades.
- One to three years’ experience in the maintenance and repair of building structures, household appliances, plumbing fixtures, and heating and air conditioning equipment; or equivalent combination or training, education and experience at the journeyman level.
- Language Skills: Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals; ability to write routine reports and correspondence; and ability to speak effectively with customers or employees of the organization.
- Mathematical Skills: Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals as well as the ability to compute rate, ratio, and percent and to draw and interpret bar graphs.
- Reasoning Ability: Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in writing, oral, or diagram (schematic), blueprints or as-built drawings formats.
- Computer Skills: Basic computer skills required for receiving work orders and reporting tenant charges.
- Physical Demands: The physical demands described here are representative of those that an employee will experience in performing the essential functions of this job. The employee is regularly required to stand, walk, use hands to finger, handle or feel, reach with hands and arms, climb, balance, stoop, kneel, crouch, crawl within crawl spaces and is occasionally required to sit. Be able to work outdoors and in inclement weather during all seasons and all conditions for extended periods.
- Must successfully pass an alcohol and drug-screening test and a criminal background check.
- Must be bondable as a condition of employment.
- Visual acuity to prepare and analyze data and operate a personal computer.
- Must possess a valid State of Georgia Class 1 Motor Vehicle Operators License
- Must be insurable under the agency’s fleet insurance carrier.
- Employee must regularly lift and/or move up to 10 pounds, frequently lift and/or move up to 25 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds or more than 100 pounds.
- Must obtain certification in Certified Maintenance Technician (CAMT) and HVAC within twelve  months of hire.
- Must be available to participate in the On Call rotation for after-hours maintenance emergencies and/or work overtime as business dictates.
This position description is not a complete list of duties, responsibilities or working conditions. While this position description intends to be an accurate reflection of the job requirements, the Authority reserves the right to modify duties without notice, and to assign other duties as necessary to accomplish the goals and tasks of the organization. All requirements are subject to possible modification and reasonably accommodate individuals with disabilities. However, some position requirements may exclude individuals who may pose a direct or significant risk to the health and safety of themselves, employees and / or residents. This position description is not an employment agreement or contract. HHA is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity and inclusion of all qualified applicants.
For consideration for this position, please forward your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.