Hinesville Housing Authority
POSITION TITLE: REPORTS TO: SUPPORT TO:
MAINTENANCE TECH I – LABORER – CUSTODIAN/ NON-EXEMPT POSITION
Maintenance and Safety Assistant Supervisor and Supervisor Maintenance Team, HHA / HPMMS / Staff and Residents
Overall Focus: To develop the Authority into a Non-Profit Full Service Residential Management and Property Development Corporation that provides affordable housing. The position requires regular attendance to perform the essential duties and responsibilities of the assigned property locations.
Primary Duties: The Groundsman performs a variety of unskilled maintenance tasks including the operation of powered and non-powered vehicles and equipment. Work includes the maintenance and upkeep of grounds, buildings and equipment. The employee will become a member of the HHA / HPMMS / HHD team performing basic maintenance and cleaning activities in a proactive manner, although duties may involve responsibility for working independently on specific projects. Instructions are specific in nature on all but previously learned tasks, and work is subject to review for quality upon completion. When in doubt, seek guidance from a supervisor.
- Cleans up grounds by picking up paper and trash; carries away debris without s
- Mows lawns, rakes and cares for grounds, prune trees and shrubbery to maintain a neat and healthy condition and
- Sweeps walks and parking areas and always maintain in clean
- Loads and unloads vehicles; drives agency vehicles to and from various sites to transport trash, materials, tools and
- Performs cleaning tasks in HHA buildings and breezeways; sweeps, scrubs, mops, waxes and buffs floors; dusts, cleans, waxes, washes and polishes furniture and equipment; washes windows and walls; empties and cleans waste receptacles; cleans bathrooms and replenishes necessary
- Performs superficial repairs to water closets and drains, usually consisting of unplugging them and freeing them for normal use.
- Visually inspects hallways and common places, eliminates any obstacles to free passage and makes certain that adequate lighting is available at all time If lights are out, replace immediately.
- Reports any unsafe or hazardous conditions encountered or observed on or in any HHA property or building and always reports suspicious visitors or activities on HHA
- Assists Asset Manager by distributing flyers to residents as re
- Delivers, picks up and installs appliances in occupied and unoccupied units.
- Maintains necessary records of appliance transactions
- Secures buildings, work areas and equipment during catastrophic conditions and assists in the evacuating process in the event of bad weather or catastrophic conditions
- Operate light trucks to pick up and deliver equipment and s
- Respond to and correct after-hours emergencies on a timely
- Commit to excellent customer service and maintain confidentiality of all resident activity and informatio
- Performs all other duties as
Position Responsibilities: The Maintenance Laborer performs general maintenance and custodial services and assists skilled technicians in making major repairs when appropriate. The position responsibilities of the Maintenance Laborer include:
- Glazier: Remove broken glass from windows and secure building by boarding up window
- Painting: Apply and prepare various surfaces for paint, lacquer, varnish or stain, remove or paint over graffiti and repair wall
- Grounds Maintenance: Maintain authority grounds in a clean and orderly manner including mowing, trimming, aerating and fertilizing lawns, as requested; trim tree branches that create hazardous situations, maintain fire lanes around buildings and properties; clean debris from grounds, pathways, and parking lots; and maintain and operate large mowers, dump trucks and other related grounds equipment.
- Housekeeping/Janitorial/Custodial: Dusts and polishes furniture, woodwork and shelving and empties and cleans wastebaskets and washes windows to enhance office and housing quality standards; operates electric buffer, vacuum cleaners, and other similar equipment to clean by sweeping, scrubbing, waxing, buffing, shampooing and vacuuming carpets.
- Safety/Security/Sanitation:Report all unauthorized visitors; identify, report, remove and respond to any safety hazards; report and repair property damage; respond to emergency cleanups such as spills and clogged drains; understand and follow guidelines for safe handling of toxic and/or caustic chemicals and other hazardous materials; and be prepared for occasional unsanitary conditions in office and residential
Qualifications: To perform the essential job functions, the following minimum qualifications or standards are required:
- Education and Experience:
- Any combination of training and experience equivalent to the completion of the eighth grade and previous one years’ experience as a grounds keeper, landscape helper and/ or custodian. GED is
- After first six months, employee will have an opportunity to earn a GED from HHA / HPMMS / HHD (if applicable).
- Knowledge of and experience using outdoor lawn equipment such as weed eater, lawn mower, blower, chain saw, hedge clippers, edger and power
- Knowledge of cleaning materials, tools, supplies and building
- Language Skills: Ability to read and interpret written instructions such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals; ability to write routine reports and correspondence; and ability to speak effectively with vendors, residents or employees of the Must be fluent in English.
- Computer Skills: Basic computer skills required for receiving work orders and reporting tenant charges.
- Moving and Installations: Ability to lift up to forty (40) pounds from the floor to overhead or handle a variety of materials such as sinks, counter tops, solid core and metal doors, debris, floor tile, fan motors and other HVAC parts, Ability to operate a truck.
- Physical Demands: The employee is regularly required to stand, walk, use hands and fingers to handle or feel, reach with hands and arms, climb, balance, stoop, kneel, crouch, crawl within crawl spaces and is occasionally required to Ability to operate carpentry, electrical and plumbing equipment, tools and machines. Be able to work outdoors doing manual labor (digging, shoveling and/ or sanding) and in inclement weather during all seasons and all conditions for extended periods. Ability to work/inspect in wet, damp, hot, cold, or dusty places.
- Must successfully pass an alcohol and drug-screening test as well as a criminal background
- Must be bondable and complete a Non-Disclosure [Confidentiality] Agreement as a condition of
- Visual acuity to prepare and analyze data and operate a personal
- Must possess a valid State of Georgia Class 1 Motor Vehicle Operators License
- Must be insurable under the agency’s fleet insurance
- Employee must regularly lift and/or move up to 25 pounds, frequently lift and/or move up to 40 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 75 pounds or more than 100
- Must be available to participate in the On Call rotation for after-hours maintenance emergencies and/or work overtime as business dictates.
Working and Environmental Conditions
- Residential property: HHA / HPMMS / HHD work is performed independently with general supervisory Work conditions vary according to season and work site, but work is usually indoors under a variety of conditions. Some work is outside in all different weather conditions including extreme cold and extreme heat.
- Hazards: Work involves frequent contact with angry, upset, or frustrated Knowledge of occupational hazards and applicable safety precautions is beneficial to being successful in this job.
This position description is not a complete list of duties, responsibilities or working conditions. While this position description intends to be an accurate reflection of the job requirements, the Authority reserves the right to modify duties without notice, and to assign other duties as necessary to accomplish the goals and tasks of the organization. All requirements are subject to possible modification and reasonably accommodate individuals with disabilities. However, some position requirements may exclude individuals who may pose a direct or significant risk to the health and safety of themselves, employees and/ or residents. This position description is not an employment agreement or contract. HHA / HPMMS / HHD does not discriminate in practices on the basis of race, color, creed, religion, gender, national origin, age, protected disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.
Employee Signature and Date:
After reading the job description, I understand its duties and responsibilities. I am able to perform the essential functions and meet the job requirements of the position. In addition, I have had the opportunity to discuss the job description with my supervisor and/ or the CEO.
Date Written: Date Approved:
March 1, 2017
August 10, 2017