Hinesville Housing Authority
POSITION TITLE: LANDSCAPING-LABORER – NON-EXEMPT POSITION
REPORTS TO: Landscaping Supervisor
SUPPORT TO: Landscaping Team, HHA Staff, Residents and Clients
Overall Focus: To develop the Authority into a Non-Profit Full Service Residential Management and Property Development Corporation that provides affordable housing solutions. The position requires regular attendance to perform the essential duties and responsibilities of the assigned property locations.
Primary Duties: The Landscaping Laborer is expected to maintain the landscape of the Authority and its landscaping client properties, so they are presented in a neat, clean and aesthetically pleasing perspective. The Specialist performs a variety of unskilled maintenance and grounds related tasks including the operation of powered and non-powered vehicles and equipment. The work of this technician includes the maintenance and upkeep of property, buildings and equipment. The employee will become a member of the HPMMS team performing basic maintenance and cleaning activities in a proactive manner, although duties may involve responsibility for working independently on specific projects. Instructions are specific in nature on all but previously learned tasks, and work is subject to review for quality upon completion. When in doubt, seek guidance from a supervisor or a colleague with more experience. The primary duties include:
- Perform grounds maintenance, operate grounds maintenance equipment such as a truck with or without a manual transmission, riding and push mowers, pesticide application equipment, tractors and small powered equipment.
- Perform horticultural practices such as mowing, mulching, weed control, turf grass maintenance, planting, litter removal, and soil sampling.
- Load and unload vehicles; drive agency vehicles, which may be manual and / or automatic transmissions to and from various sites to transport trash, materials, and tools.
- Visually inspect hallways and common area places, eliminates any obstacles to free passage and ensure that adequate lighting is always available. If lights are out, replace them.
- Report any unsafe or hazardous conditions encountered or observed on or in any HPMMS property or building and always reports suspicious visitors or activities on HPMMS properties.
- Secure buildings, work areas and equipment during catastrophic conditions and assists in the evacuating process in the event of bad weather or catastrophic conditions
- Operate light trucks to pick up and deliver equipment.
- Respond to and correct after-hours emergencies in a timely manner.
- Commit to excellent customer service and maintain confidentiality of all resident activity.
- Performs all other duties as assigned.
Position Responsibilities: The Landscaping Specialist performs general grounds maintenance and landscaping services and assists skilled technicians in making major repairs when appropriate. The position responsibilities of the Landscaping Specialist include:
- Painting: Apply and prepare various surfaces for paint, lacquer, varnish or stain, remove or paint over graffiti and repair wall coverings, driveways, sidewalks and parking
- Grounds Maintenance: Maintaining grounds in a clean and orderly manner, which includes mowing, trimming, aerating and fertilizing lawns, as requested, pruning and trimming tree branches that create hazardous situations with chain saws, pole saws and shears, maintain fire lanes around buildings and properties; clean debris from grounds, pathways, and parking lots; and maintain and operate large mowers, dump trucks and other related grounds equipment.
- Safety/Security/Sanitation: Report all unauthorized visitors on authority and client properties (including unauthorized animals). Identify, remove, report and respond to any safety hazards and report and repair property damage. Understand and follow guidelines for safe handling of toxic and/or caustic chemicals, pesticides, weed killer, and other hazardous materials; and be prepared for occasional unsanitary conditions in and on
Qualifications: To perform the essential job functions, the following minimum qualifications or standards are required:
- Education and Experience:
- Any combination of training and experience equivalent to the completion of the eighth grade and previous one years’ experience as a groundskeeper, landscape helper and / or custodian. GED is preferred.
- After first six months, employee will have an opportunity to earn a GED from HPMMS.
- Knowledge of and experience using outdoor lawn equipment such as weed eater, lawn mower, blower, chain saw, hedge clippers, edger and power
- Knowledge of cleaning materials, tools, supplies and building
- Knowledge of basic horticultural
- Need to secure pesticide application certification after twelve (12) months with authority in accordance with Georgia Department of Agriculture
- Language Skills: Ability to read and interpret written instructions such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals; ability to write routine reports and correspondence; and ability to speak effectively with vendors, residents or employees of the organization. Must be fluent in
- Computer Skills: Basic computer skills required for receiving work orders and reporting services
- Physical Demands: The employee is regularly required to stand, walk, use hands and fingers to handle or feel, reach with hands and arms, climb, balance, stoop, kneel, crouch, crawl within crawl spaces and is occasionally required to sit. Ability to operate landscaping and horticultural equipment, tools and machines is a plus. Be able to work outdoors doing manual labor (digging, shoveling and / or mulching) and in inclement weather during all seasons and all conditions for extended periods. Ability to work/inspect in wet, damp, hot, cold, or dusty
- Must successfully pass an alcohol and drug-screening test as well as a criminal background
- Must be bondable and complete a Non-Disclosure (Confidentiality) agreement as a condition of
- Must possess a valid State of Georgia Class 1 Motor Vehicle Operators License
- Must be insurable under the agency’s fleet insurance
- Employee must regularly lift and/or move up to 25 pounds, frequently lift and/or move up to 40 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 75 pounds or more than 100
Working and Environmental Conditions
- Residential property: HPMMS work is performed independently with general supervisory instructions at various sites in Liberty County, GA. Work conditions vary according to the season and work sites, but work is usually outdoors under a variety of conditions including extreme cold and extreme
- Hazards: Work involves frequent contact with angry, upset, or frustrated individuals. Knowledge of occupational hazards and applicable safety precautions is beneficial to being successful in this position.
This position description is not a complete list of duties, responsibilities or working conditions. While this position description intends to be an accurate reflection of the job requirements, the Authority reserves the right to modify duties without notice, and to assign other duties as necessary to accomplish the goals and tasks of the organization. All requirements are subject to possible modification and reasonably accommodate individuals with disabilities. However, some position requirements may exclude individuals who may pose a direct or significant risk to the health and safety of themselves, employees and / or residents. This position description is not an employment agreement or contract. HPMMS does not discriminate in practices based on race, color, creed, religion, gender, national origin, age, protected disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.